Last week we reported one of the most popular restaurants in the area, Giovanni's, had been closed by the Department of Health. While on site, I asked several managers what was the reason that they were closed down and their answers ranged from, "...something broke in the kitchen" to "There is a gas leak and we got shut down." The real reason is what can only be described as a gross lack of sanitary conditions in such a popular restaurant.
According to New York City's Department of Health website the following violations were present at the time of inspection resulting in a whopping 78 violation points which resulted in the closing of Giovanni's:
Violations from 08/12/2010 Inspection
Tip! "Critical" violations are displayed in red.